Tuesday, April 19, 2011

IFCJ

I think that the topic of Jews in the Christian imagination is very interesting, although I wonder if it is naive to think that the tension between countries and people that have been happening for years can just disappear. Personally, I think the idea is great and I agree that religions, or established groups in general can work together and form friendships when they recognize the common concerns they share.


My mother is Christian and my father is Jewish, but that has never influenced what people I interact with. They never pressured me either way or discouraged me to learn about other cultures and religions. However, most of my friends and the families that lived in my neighborhood because being Jewish, was an important factor for people when choosing to live in Scarsdale, NY. There were non-Jews who lived and went to my high school also that were welcomed into the community, but the bond between the synagogues in our small town made it easy for Jews to associate more with Jews. Growing up in a neighborhood with people that were not all Jewish proved to me on a first hand level, that regardless of the identity that religion places on us, we can all live harmoniously if we look for our similarities,  not focus on our differences. 
I also enjoyed looking at the website. They made their mission very clear under "About IFCJ" and it did not seem to be biased towards one religion or another, but truly just an organization trying to promote peace. I also thought that it was interesting that they were based in Chicago, but also in Jerusalem because that shows how important Israel is to multiple people, religions and cultures. I also liked the trips they offer and would consider looking further into participating in one. However, this is the first time I have ever hear of a movement like this, and I think it would be beneficial to move it along if they advertised and promoted it more. They are involved with the popular social networks to try and spread the word, but I think if they could team up with another well known organization they would be able to reach out to more people. 


I could see where Jews would be turned off by something like this because of the past and I don't know how close two religions can really become. I do think that if they continue to try and do this and they focus on the more general idea of all people living with respect and cooperation more people would be able to understand the concept. 

No comments:

Post a Comment